Safe and non-toxic homes
Even when you think your home is a healthy and child-friendly zone, there may be toxins in the air. Volatile organic compounds (or ‘VOCs’) are carbon-based chemicals which easily become vapors or gases. They can be emitted by many products and building materials in the home, like carpets, wallpaper, paints, furniture and cleaning products. While some VOCs are relatively harmless, they can cause irritations, headaches and respiration problems.
When VOCs are released into the air, it can result in indoor air quality being poorer than the air outside. Furthermore, VOCs can combine with nitrogen oxides to form ozone, which contributes to climate change. Not surprising then, that they are now being controlled and tightly regulated and that consumers are taking action to avoid bringing them inside.
How can you avoid indoor pollution caused by VOCs?
Here are some tips to keep your family safe:
- Keep your home well ventilated and consider an air purifier
- Look out for products which are free of VOCs and synthetic fragrances and chemicals
- As a general rule, always opt for natural and organic products
- Buy vintage and second-hand products which have far lower levels of VOCs
- Remember that house plants absorb gas and can help to purify the air at home
When it comes to building and renovation, it’s best to choose natural flooring and building products like sustainable glass. Lacobel and Matelac decorative glass is available in on-trend colours, emits safe levels of VOCs and is also Cradle-to-Cradle Bronze certified, which means it’s environmentally-responsible.
When it comes to building and renovation, it’s best to choose natural flooring and building products like sustainable glass.