AGC Glass Europe closes out International Year of Glass with launch of Low-Carbon Glass
In order to meet growing market demand and reduce the environmental impact of its production processes in line with its carbon neutrality roadmap, AGC Glass Europe is launching its Low-Carbon Glass range, featuring a significantly reduced carbon footprint.
“In 2022 – the United Nations International Year of Glass – AGC turned the spotlight on glass and our passion for this noble material. We also took a big step towards carbon neutrality during the year and are now delighted to close out 2022 with the launch of our Low-Carbon Glass range offering customers glass, which – from the extraction of raw materials to final installation – generates more than 40% less CO2 than our standard glass,” says Davide Cappellino, President of AGC Architectural Glass Europe & Americas Company.
To achieve this drastic CO2 reduction, every link in the value chain was closely examined and addressed. This included limiting direct carbon emissions from the glass production processes as well as lowering all CO2 emissions from electricity production, the supply chain upstream of our processes and other indirect emissions. AGC’s holistic approach to sustainably producing its Low-Carbon Glass covers six key areas:
- sustainably sourcing of raw materials
- using highly efficient melting furnaces
- increasing the use of cullet (recycled glass)
- using green energy sources
- optimising transport between Group sites for finishing processes (lamination, coating)
- optimising transport for finished products
As a result of this in-depth process, AGC is now producing Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite, a low-carbon float glass whose carbon footprint has been slashed by 40% to just 7 kg of CO2 per m² (4 mm thick).
The first Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite was successfully produced at the AGC plant in Moustier, Belgium and is available and in stock now. In 2023, the AGC plant in Seingbouse, France will also start producing Low-Carbon Glass.
Low-Carbon Planibel Clearlite is available for AGC’s key ranges of functional glazing products, including:
- safety glass: Low-Carbon Stratobel and Low-Carbon Stratophone
- thermal insulation glass: Low-Carbon iplus 1.0 and Low-Carbon iplus 1.1
- solar control glass: Low-Carbon Stopray and Low-Carbon Energy
These new Low-Carbon Glass products deliver the same aesthetics, quality and technical performance as traditional AGC float glass products.
For more information: www.agc-yourglass.com
Pictures below: © AGC Glass Europe
- Low-Carbon Glass : AGC Glass Europe is launching its Low-Carbon Glass range, featuring a significantly reduced carbon footprint.
- Davide Cappellino : We also took a big step towards carbon neutrality during the year and are now delighted to close out 2022 with the launch of our Low-Carbon Glass range.
Share this page
AGC Glass Europe
Marketing Communications Manager
AGC Glass UK Ltd
Market Development & IBP Manager
Tel +44 (0) 1788 535353
Mob +44 (0) 7736 059 465
AGC Glass Europe, a European leader in flat glass
Based in Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium), AGC Glass Europe produces, processes and markets flat glass for the construction industry (external glazing and interior decoration), car manufacture and other industrial sectors (transport, solar power and high-tech). It is the European branch of AGC, a world leader in flat glass. It has over 100 sites throughout Europe and employs around 15,300 employees.
More information on www.agc-glass.eu (corporate site), www.agc-yourglass.com (glass for the construction industry) and www.agc-automotive.com (for the automotive industry).