We are actively involved in several projects to improve collection and reuse of cullet in our plants, such as:
- redefining the flows of cullet in order to reduce transport distances between the source, the recycler and the float plant;
- teaching our people to sort the cullet efficiently so as to recycle it better;
- increasing the range of materials that we are able to load into our furnaces;
In the Netherlands for instance we helped to develop a national system of collecting flat glass from construction and demolition waste. This cullet is now reused instead of being sent to landfill. A great part of it is reused in other glass production (for bottles, fibreglass, foam glass, etc.), but there are many other potential applications such as reflective road surfacing, golf bunker sand, aquarium ornamentation, water filtration systems, construction aggregate and so on.
REVALO Project: recovery & recycling of post-consumer cullet in France
In 2013 AGC Glass Europe focused its efforts on recovery and recycling of post-consumer cullet, e.g. broken window glass (construction and demolition waste), damaged car windows, etc., with further development of the REVALO project.
In 2012 AGC received financial support from the French Environment & Energy Management Agency for a “REVALO” project coordinated by the VINCI company in partnership with AGC.
The REVALO project aims at recycling the windows coming from the renovation of buildings. It follows the Cradle to Cradle philosophy.
In this project, AGC takes part in:
- recycling of the glass in our Boussois plant (FR).
- glass R&D testing: in order to ensure an adequate quality of the cullet before it is recycled and to secure the quality of the float glass produced from this project. In addition, we evaluate the energy and environmental gains induced by this project.
- the logistical aspects: in order to reduce CO2 emissions when transporting the glass for further recycling.
Other types of waste
Depending on the activities, various types of waste are produced by our plants. These include used refractories, sludge from waste water treatment systems, waste oil from maintenance, ordinary trash from administration activities, etc. In line with the objective of avoiding landfill, for each production site we have implemented an approach based on prevention, reuse, recycling and incineration, in consecutive steps.
We have succeeded in recycling various types of waste in addition to glass cullet. For instance most of the recycled sludge originating from waste water treatment is now recycled in cement production.