As well as making float glass, AGC Glass Europe processes it into secondary products with a wide range of functions: comfort in the home, energy control, health & safety, aesthetic appearance etc. The main types of processed glass produced by AGC Glass Europe are:
- Coated glass: very thin, practically invisible layers of metal oxides are deposited on the glass to give it heightened insulation against heat and/or cold.
- Laminated glass: two or more sheets of glass are placed together with one or more layers of PVB (polyvinyl butyral, a type of plastic) between them. Laminated glass is a type of safety glass.
- Toughened glass: the glass is raised to softening temperature (650°C) and is then cooled suddenly. Toughened glass is also a type of safety glass, five times stronger than normal glass.
- Double or triple glazing: two (three) sheets of glass are held in a metal frame with a space filled with dry air or other gas between them, forming a hermetically sealed unit with heightened thermal and acoustic insulation.
- Mirror glass: a thin coating of silver protected by paint is applied to one side of the glass.
- Fire-resistant glass: sheets of glass are assembled with one or more clear intumescent interlayers. In case of fire, the interlayers expand and become opaque, forming a protective screen.